BTEC Certificate L2 Sports Studies at Robert Owen Academy
The BTEC qualifications in this specification have been revised to fit the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF). The revised titles are:
- Edexcel BTEC Level 2 Certificate in Sport 500/6644/4
- Edexcel BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate in Sport 500/7658/9
- Edexcel BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Sport 500/7660/7
Key features of these BTEC qualifications in Sport
The BTEC Firsts in Sport have been developed in the sport and active leisure sector to:
• provide education and training for sport, leisure and recreation employees
• give opportunities for sport, leisure and recreation employees to achieve a nationally recognised Level 2 vocationally specific qualification
• give full-time learners the opportunity to enter employment in the sport and active leisure sector or to progress to vocational qualifications such as the Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Sport and Sport and Exercise Sciences.
• give learners the opportunity to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
The BTEC Firsts in Sport also provide a good foundation for learners in post-16 education. They provide a suitable foundation for further study within the sector through progression on to qualifications such as the Edexcel Level 3 BTEC Nationals in Sport and Sport and Exercise Sciences.
Alternatively, learners can progress to NVQs such as Activity Leadership or Coaching, Teaching and Instructing. The underpinning knowledge, practical and vocational skills learnt on the BTEC Firsts in Sport will enhance and support the progression to a competency-based course.
These qualifications are suitable for school leavers who wish to embark on a vocational route through training or education following on from GCSEs or a vocational qualification at Level 1.
This qualification has an entry requirement of a minimum of 3 GCSEs grade D or better with at least one in a sport or science based discipline.
This qualification allows for progression to Level 3 BTEC course or equivalent. Pathways to employment in the sports sector can be enhanced by attaining this qualification.
There is a significant amount of practical participation required for this course. Appropriate clothing for participation and other practical equipment are essential. A resources list will be provided upon acceptance to the course. Sports related qualifications such as coaching awards are not funded by this course, this is an additional cost to the student.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Robert Owen Academy directly.