Accessibility links

Physical Education A Level at St Joseph's Catholic Academy

Course description

A qualification in A level Physical Education will increase your understanding of the factors that affect performance and participation in physical activity. We hope to equip students with the skills and knowledge in preparation for higher education or the world of work.

Ever wondered why Usain Bolt appears to be getting faster when his opponents are slowing down? Are you aware of what a National Governing Body is, and how it endeavours to increase participation figures and support elite level athletes? Would you like to know the resources Mourinho uses to achieve the best results from his players? Ever argued the debate of blades vs spikes?

Course content

AS LEVEL

PHED1 –  Spanning across 4 key areas: • Applied Physiology • Skill Acquisition • Opportunities for Participation • Stretch and Challenge

PHED2 –  Students can be assessed as a PERFORMER, COACH or OFFICIAL, and must select 2 activities / roles from the 52 activities available.

A2 LEVEL

PHED3 - . Spanning across 3 key areas: • Exercise Physiology • Application of Psychological Knowledge • Contemporary Influences in Sport

PHED4 - Written Coursework and Practical Assessment 20% of total A level marks. Written Coursework 20% of GLH, identifying weaknesses in your performance and suggesting corrective measures linked to PHED3 topics. Practical Assessment 10% of GLH, assessed across a competitive situation. Students select a single sporting activity and can be assessed as a PERFORMER, COACH or OFFICIAL.

Entry requirements

N/A

Assessment

AS LEVEL

PHED1 – Written Paper, 2 hours 60% of total AS grade, and 30% of total A level marks. 90% of the guided learning hours (GLH), dedicated to the theoretical component of the course.

PHED2 – Practical Assessment 40% of total AS grade, and 20% of total A level marks. 10% of the GLH, aimed at achieving the highest number of marks available. 

 

A2 LEVEL

PHED3 - Written Paper, 2 hours 30% of total A level marks. 70% GLH, dedicated to the theoretical component of the course.

PHED4 - Written Coursework and Practical Assessment 20% of total A level marks. Written Coursework 20% of GLH, identifying weaknesses in your performance and suggesting corrective measures linked to PHED3 topics.

Practical Assessment 10% of GLH, assessed across a competitive situation. Students select a single sporting activity and can be assessed as a PERFORMER, COACH or OFFICIAL.

Future opportunities

Careers: Sports Physiotherapist Î Sports Journalist Î Sports Coach Î Leisure Management and Services Î Teaching / Lecturing Î Sports Nutritionist Î Sports Psychologist Î Bio Mechanic Î Sports Management Î Professional Athlete.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Joseph's Catholic Academy directly.

Last updated date: 12 June 2015

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 1 - 2 Years

Venues