Computing and IT BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
Our specialist IT rooms include a hardware lab where learners are able to explore networking, hardware and software installation and maintenance. The combination of IT skills and business knowledge ideally prepares the learner for employment in a range of modern industries, from small independent employers to large government organisations.
This is an advanced-level course involving theoretical and practical study of both computer and IT-related topics. It includes a wide range of units designed to provide an excellent platform for learners wishing to either progress towards a course in higher education or enter the IT industry.
This course has been developed in the IT sector to focus on education and training for current and potential IT employees. It provides opportunities to achieve an internationally recognised industry certification in Cisco IT Essentials and Networking.
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Computer Systems and Information Systems
- Developing Computer Games
- Software Design and Development
- IT Troubleshooting and Repair
- Programming Languages
- Website Design and Database Design
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above (to include maths and English) or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 2 qualification at Merit or above (e.g. Level 2 Diploma in Computing & IT)
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Assessment is continuous, with timed tests, written assignments, and observations of practical work. All written work is submitted electronically through ‘Turnitin’.
There are various opportunities for further study or employment upon successful completion of your course.
Study options may include:
- HND in Computing & Systems Development
- Other Higher Education courses
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Computing & IT
Employment options may include:
- IT Technical Support
- Desktop and Network Technician
- Software Support
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.