Carpentry & Joinery Level 1 Diploma at Somerset College
The Level 1 Diploma will teach you and allow you to develop the underpinning knowledge and practical skills to become a carpenter and joiner. A large proportion of the course will be spent in the College’s industry standard workshops, working at a bench under expert guidance from our industry trained and experienced staff.
The course units you will study are:
- Principles of building construction
- Basic woodworking joints
- Maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
Acceptance on the course is via an interview.
A positive attitude and an interest in the course are vital. An initial assessment will be taken upon enrolment.
Your carpentry and joinery knowledge and skills will be assessed in a range of ways by your
This will include:
• Observation of your practical work
• End of unit practical tests (marked against industry standards)
• Production of a portfolio of your knowledge and practical work
• On-line multiple choice end of unit knowledge tests
• Practical and knowledge workbooks
You can progress on to a Level 2 and 3 Diploma specialising in either site carpentry or bench joinery. On completion of the Level 1 you could also start to look for employment as an Apprentice.
The College offers construction courses from Levels 1 to 7. This could be the very start of your progression in the construction industry.
This course gives you the basic foundations of carpentry and joinery. Career opportunities could include working as a site carpenter, a kitchen fitter, a bench joiner, a shopfitter and much more.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somerset College directly.