A Level Design and Technology Product Design (3D Design) at Holmer Green Senior School
This specification is designed to encourage candidates to:
- Develop a broad view of design and technology.
- Develop their capacity to design and make products.
- Appreciate the complex relations between design, materials, manufacture and marketing.
The aims of the course are to provide the opportunity to develop designing, modelling and making skills and to encourage imagination, innovation and flair; to use graphic techniques and ICT including CAD, to generate, develop, model and communicate design ideas and also to promote the use of CAM in single item production and in batch or volume production.
The course will develop an understanding of the needs and values of a range of users, including spiritual, moral, social, and cultural considerations and to consider how present and past designers can influence the development of design thinking. The course will consider the uses and effects of new technologies and modern materials on product design and manufacture. It is a course which stimulates creativity and innovation.
- Unit 1 – Two hour written paper on Materials and Components (50% of AS)
- Unit 2 – 50 hours Coursework – “Learning Through Designing and Making” (50% 0f AS)
- Unit 3 – Two hour written paper on Design and Manufacture – (25% of A Level)
- Unit 4 – 60 hours Coursework – “Designing and Making Practice” – (25% of A Level)
Potential careers: This qualification would suit people who want to pursue a career in Architecture, Engineering, Graphic Design, Product Design, 3D Design, Furniture Design, Interior Design, Garden Design, Web Page Design, Computer Aided Product Design, and any other creative profession.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Holmer Green Senior School directly.