English Language A/AS Level at Broughton Hall High School
• Offers opportunities for students to develop their subject expertise by exploring key language concepts and engaging with a range of texts and discourses.
• Explores the study of English language both as a medium of communication and as a topic in its own right, with an emphasis on the ability of students to pursue lines of enquiry, analyse texts produced by others and debate different views.
• The methods of analysis appropriate to the fields of English language/linguistics underpin all the elements of the specification, and these are applied to distinctive topic areas.
• The course combines examination and coursework components
• Language and the individual – including detail textual analysis
• Language varieties – looking at the different aspects of language according to class, race, gender, age and region
• Child acquisition of language
• Language investigation
This course requires a love of language exploration and a readiness to investigate a variety of different texts and data from a range of sources. In addition, you will need to demonstrate initiative in personal research and organisational skills and to appreciate that success depends on the enthusiasm with which you consolidate lessons with personal investigation. Willingness and confidence in applying linguistic frameworks to texts is essential. This course is open to students who have achieved grade A*- B in both English Language and English Literature GCSE.
This is a highly regarded qualification, which will be acceptable for any course of study at degree level. It is particularly suitable for students who wish to progress to journalism, teaching, publishing, the media, speech therapy, linguistics or any career which requires a high level of literacy. It is an excellent preparation for the demands and study skills needed for higher education.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Broughton Hall High School directly.