Creative Media Production BTEC at Paston Sixth Form College
Creative media is one of the fastest growing sectors of the UK economy. This course is a practical production course and on it you will explore and learn the techniques of filmmaking, music production, photography and animation widely used in the creative media industries today.
In Year 1 (90 credit diploma) you will explore:
- Pre-production techniques, such as storyboarding and scriptwriting
- Short Film making
- Video Editing
- Print-based media
- Stop-Motion, 2D, 3D animation and Motion Graphics
- Research methods that develop your writing and analytical skills.
- Critical analysis of film and television
- How to communicate your ideas effectively through professional pitches
In Year 2 (180-credit diploma):
- Extend and refine your existing skills through a wide range of practical units
- Music Video Production
- Documentary filmmaking
- Working to a professional creative brief set by an external client
- Radio Drama
- The production of Graphic Narrative/comic books
- Video Installation
- Build a portfolio and prepare for interview.
- Refine your research method using critical analysis with reference to contextual sources.
- Define your own area of specialism and work collectively towards the production of work for the media festival
Minimum of 5 C grades (or new grade 4) at GCSE or Distinction/ Merit in a relevant BTEC First Diploma (or equivalent) plus 1 grade C (or new grade 4) at GCSE. You must also study English/ Maths GCSE if you have not already achieved grade 4 or old C grade in these subjects.
If you are not studying Media at GCSE you can still apply for the course but you will need to bring to interview a 200 word review of a computer game, film or television programme or a practical portfolio.
You will study 9 units in the first year covering a range of media topics approaches. Each unit is marked as a pass, merit or distinction. You will be awarded 90 credits at the end of the year if you complete all units, this is the equivalent to 1.5 A levels. You will study a further 9 units in the second year to complete the 180 credits, which is the equivalent of 3 A levels.
You may wish, like many of our students, to continue your study of media and can do so locally, benefitting from our Progression Accord with Norwich University of the Arts You may also consider continuing to Higher Education at art schools and universities further afield, including Westminster, Ravensbourne and Bournemouth. Many of our students have gone onto work across the media industry sector in areas such as animation games design, post-production editing, script-writing and location production management.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Paston Sixth Form College directly.