Biology AS & A Level at Leek High School
The AS and A level specifications in biology encourage students to:
- recall and show understanding of scientific knowledge, organise and communicate information in a variety of ways;
- build on concepts and skills that will have been developed in the new GCSE specification;
- analyse and evaluate scientific knowledge and apply it to unfamiliar situations;
- demonstrate and describe practical techniques and processes;
- be aware of advances in technology, including information technology, relevant to biology;
- recognise the value and responsible use of biology in society;
- sustain and develop their enjoyment of, and interest in, biology.
Students study a modular course of 6 units leading to GCE A level qualification. The units covered in the AQA specification are as follows:
- Biology and disease
- The variety of living organisms
- Investigative and practical skills in AS biology
- Populations and environment
- Control in cells and in organisms
- Investigative and practical skills in A2 biology
Modules are examined in June. The final qualification is calculated from the sum of the marks from the 6 units.
Assessed practical work counts for 20% of the final marks.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Leek High School directly.