Business Studies BTEC Level 3 at Pensby High School
The course is assessed via the completion of a portfolio of work which is assessed via continual assessment. You will studying all aspects of Business including finance, marketing, Human Resources, communication, ownership, structure and becoming increasingly important the internet as a trading portal. You will complete six units over the two year period. In order to gain the full reward you will have to complete the course in full.
In the first year of the course you will study topics that will introduce the way in which businesses work and how they sell their products to customers. The units are Exploring Business Activity, Business Resources and Introduction to Marketing. Following the end of the Year 12 section of the course you will begin the two optional units being studied, which are Managing a Business Event and Recruitment and Selection in Business.
In year 13 you will complete the two optional units outlined above meaning that there is a focus on progressing work over the Summer holidays. Upon completing these units, the final unit (Business Communication) will be completed at the end of the course. The outcomes from each unit will determine the overall grade for the course.
- The Business Environment - types of business activity and ownership, understanding aims and objectives, Understand functional activities and organisational structure, and to know how external factors in the business environment impact on organisations.
- Business Resources where you will learn how human resources are managed, understand the purpose of managing physical and technological resources, Understand how to access sources of finance and to be able to interpret financial statements.
- Introduction to Marketing where you will learn to understand the concept and principles of marketing and their application in the business environment, know how and why market research is conducted by organisations, understand how marketing information is used by organisations and to understand how marketing techniques are used to increase demand for products.
- Business Communication where you will learn to understand the importance of employing suitable people, to know how to communicate using appropriate methods, understand different types of information and how it can be processed and to be able to present information effectively.
- Managing a Business Event where you will learn to understand the skills necessary to be an event organiser as well as actually thinking up, planning, organising and carrying out a real business event, along with evaluating the outcomes from this event to inform future practice.
- Recruitment and Selection in Business looks at the processes that are required by businesses to follow in order to effectively recruit and select appropriate staff for a given position. This will involve looking at real business processes and analysing and evaluating the effectiveness of these processes in the light of the business being studied.
There are no formal entry requirements but a grade C in GCSE Maths and English is useful because of the topics we study. There is also no need to have studied Business Studies before.
There are no exams. All of the assessment is through internally assessed portfolio work.
Study this subject if you are interested in the way businesses work and the methods they use to become successful. This subject gives a good grounding in current thinking and practice that is useful for students who want to study business further or embark on employment or management trainee schemes.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Pensby High School directly.