Specialist Support For Teaching And Learning In Schools Level 3 Diploma at Milton Keynes College
Are you currently working as a teaching assistant and looking to gain a recognised qualification? Are you wanting to develop in your role and increase your employability?
This course will provide you with the generic knowledge and skills required to work as a teaching assistant or similar role, incorporating the more specialised areas. Achieving this qualification is likely to enhance your career prospects and enable further training opportunities.
The course covers all areas of the teaching assistant role e.g. communication, behaviour management, supporting learning activities and safeguarding. This course is approximately 50% theory and 50% practical.
You will study the following 11 mandatory units:
- Communication and professional relationships
- Schools as organisations
- Support learning activities
- Promote positive behaviour
- Develop professional relationships
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Assessment for learning
- Child development
- Personal development
- Health and Safety
Your allocated Workplace Trainer will also guide you in selecting optional units relevant to your teaching assistant role.
We will also support your development in English and Maths which are a key component of all College Programmes.
- You will need to have been employed as a teaching assistant for a minimum of three months, supporting learning activities within a school environment. You will need to demonstrate the required levels of responsibility relevant to this level 3 qualification. On this basis, volunteers may be considered. You must be working or volunteering in this environment for a minimum of nine hours a week throughout the course.
- You will be required to complete an initial assessment in English and Maths and achieve an appropriate level.
You will be continuously assessed through knowledge work books online plus observations of your practice in the workplace.
After successfully completing the course you could progress onto the Foundation Degree in Learning and Teaching or the Early Years Foundation Degree. These are work-based routes into teaching. You may also consider Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) training.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Milton Keynes College directly.