The Extended Project Qualification at Holmer Green Senior School
The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) provides an opportunity for students to extend their abilities beyond the A-level syllabus, stand out and prepare for university or their future career. It can also be used to earn extra UCAS points (70 or half an A Level).
The Extended Project is a Level 3 qualification which can contribute to programmes of study as a stand-alone qualification.
Learners may choose to take the Extended Project Qualification as an extension from studies for any other qualifications at Level 3 such as GCEs and BTECs.
The Extended Project will develop and extend from one or more of the learner’s study areas and/or from an area of personal interest or activity outside their main programme of study. It will be based on a topic chosen by the learner(s) and agreed as appropriate by the centre.
Delivery of the Extended Project Qualification will involve some teaching of the necessary skills, supervision and assessment of the learner’s progress. It will involve extended autonomous work by the learner. It will require in total 120 guided learning hours.
Learners are required, under supervision, to:
- choose an area of interest
-draft a title and aims of the project for formal approval by the centre
- plan, research and carry out the project
- deliver a presentation to a specified audience
- provide evidence of all stages of project development and production for assessment.
Students are assessed on how they progress through the project, focusing on their ability to plan manage and evaluate their work rather than on the final outcome of the project itself.
The areas of assessment are:
- Managing a project
- Using independent research
- Developing and realising a project
- Reviewing and evaluating a project
Students are encouraged to:
- Develop and improve their own learning and performance as critical, reflective and independent students
- Develop and apply decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Extend their skills in planning, research, critical thinking, synthesis, evaluation and presentation
- Develop and apply skills creatively, demonstrating initiative and enterprise.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Holmer Green Senior School directly.