Spanish AS level at The Bushey Academy
AS and A level courses based on this specification should encourage the students to
- develop an interest in, and enthusiasm for, language learning;
- develop understanding of the language in a variety of contexts and genres;
- communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in the language for a range of purposes;
- develop awareness and understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of countries or communities where the language is spoken;
- consider their study of the language in a broader context;
To achieve the AS award students will need to complete 2 units.
Unit 1: comprised of the reading, listening and writing aspects whereby students demonstrate the content and knowledge acquired over the Year 12 period. Students will study 4 AS topics: Media, Popular Culture, Health and Family.
Unit 2: Oral exam whereby students will cover the same topics as Unit1 but students may prepare one topic of their choice. There is a report card with questions covering another topic and students must then discuss the remaining two topics with their examiner (normally one of the class teachers).
The course is assessed through external examinations. Speaking tests will be conducted and recorded by one of the class teachers.
Choosing Spanish at GCE will provide you with plenty of opportunities for further progression. At AS/A Level, in colleges and universities, Spanish is a very relevant subject. Students will become much more fluent and able to discover the culture and history of the target language country. And their chances of employment will rise considerably.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Bushey Academy directly.