Sociology AS Level at Nelson Thomlinson School
Topic 1: Sociological Methods
- Sources of data, such as questionnaires and interviews.
- The theoretical, practical and ethical considerations influencing choice of topic, choice of method(s) and the conduct of research.
Topic 2: Families and Households
- Changing patterns of marriage, cohabitation, separation and divorce.
- The nature of childhood, and changes in the status of children in society.
Topic 3: Education
- The role and functions of the education system.
- Differential educational achievement of social groups by social class, gender and ethnicity in contemporary society.
At least Grade C in GCSE English or English Language.
• Good written communication skills.
• An interest in society, politics and current affairs.
• Strong organisational skills. • Commitment to research and study in time outside of lessons.
Two externally assessed examinations each lasting one and half hours:
- Paper 1 – Education with Methods in Context.
- Paper 2 – Research Methods and Families and Households.
Each exam contributes 33.3% towards the overall AS grade. All examinations are sat at the end of the course.
In the past, our students have gone on to study in a wide range of university departments. Sociology will be of value to students aiming at careers such as media, health care, social work, teaching and other similar fields.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nelson Thomlinson School directly.