Travel & Tourism BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Helston Community College
This course will appeal to you if you have an interest in working in the Travel industry in a number of diff erent areas including Cabin Crew, Overseas Rep and as a Tour Operator. It is a 2 year course and carries the equivalent UCAS points to two GCE A levels.
This is an applied Level 3 course which will provide a strong academic background whilst allowing you to develop skills that will prepare you for both the world of work, and the demands of Higher Education courses.
The course is broken into 12 units of work across the two years of study; there are 6 Core Units and a further 6 optional units.
- Unit 1: Investigating Travel and Tourism Students develop knowledge and understanding of the travel and tourism sector and its component industries
- Unit 2: The Business of the Travel Industry Students gain knowledge and understanding about travel and tourism as a business and appreciate that travel and tourism organisations operate and have a role to play in a business environment.
- Unit 3: The UK as a Destination Students develop skills in locating destinations in the United Kingdom and also gain an overview of the UK tourism product and how it attracts and meets the needs of domestic and inbound visitors. Learners will develop their understanding of the factors that aff ect tourism to and within the UK. The unit supports the development of research skills through the exploration of UK tourist destinations and their locations.
- Unit 4: Customer Service This unit develops an understanding of how excellent customer service contributes to the success of travel and tourism organisations
- Unit 5: Marketing Travel and Tourism Products and Services This unit provides an understanding of the background and concepts of marketing and the factors that infl uence marketing decisions.
- Unit 7: European Destinations Students will gain skills to enable them to locate and explore the diverse destinations that make up the European travel market.
- Optional Units Long Haul Destinations Investigating the Cruise Industry Specialist Tourism Working as a Holiday Representative Events, Conferences and Exhibitions UK Visitor Attractions
You will need the general college requirements of 4 A*-C GCSE qualifi cations.
There are no exams in this subject. Instead students will be assessed via the following:
- Practical reports
- Portfolio of work
There will be several opportunities for organised college trips as part of the course
The practical nature of this course allows you to pursue a career in the Travel and Tourism or customer based industries. The course is also excellent preparation for one of the many Higher Education courses available in this subject. Students who study Travel and Tourism go on to work in many areas including Travel and Tourism management, retail, tour operations and the transport industries.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Helston Community College directly.