DRAMA - A2/A Level (Edexcel) at Churchdown School Academy
2 year course offered as part of a full time study programme
What does the course include?
Component 1: Devising
Students will develop their creative and exploratory skills to devise an original performance. The starting point for this process will be a performance text and an influential theatre practitioner.
There are three main areas of focus:
• Interpreting, creating and developing a devised piece from one key extract (at least 10 mins in length) from a performance text and applying the methods of one practitioner.
• A group performance / design realisation of the devised piece.
• Analysing and evaluating the creative process and devised performance.
There are two parts to the assessment: a 2500 - 3000 word portfolio which documents and reflects on the exploratory process and the skills and techniques that they have developed in response to the text, and the influence of the chosen theatre practitioner. And the final devised performance.
Component 2: Text in Performance
Students will develop and demonstrate their theatre-making skills, appropriate to their role as a performer or designer. They will explore how they realise artistic intentions in performance.
There are two areas of focus:
• A monologue (2-3 minutes) or a duologue (5-6 mins) performance / design realisation from one key extract from one performance text.
• A group performance (between 20-60 mins depending on group size) / design realisation of one key extract from a different performance text.
Component 3: Theatre Makers in Practice
Theatre is a collaborative art form and it is important that students have a clear understanding of how different creative ideas are put into practice.
There are three areas to be covered within a 2 hours 30 mins written examination:
• A live theatre evaluation.
• Page to stage: realisation of one key extract from a performance text.
• Interpreting one complete performance text, in light of one practitioner for a contemporary audience.
Pathway 1: 4 A levels
• 5 A* to C Grades in GCSEs, including Maths and English, and meeting any subject specific requirements (see below)
Pathway 2: A combination of A levels and Level 3 Vocational Courses
• 5 A*to C Grades (Merits in BTEC and Vocational Courses) and meeting any subject specific requirements (see below)
What could I go on to do at the end of my course?
This course can lead to further study in Drama, Theatre Studies and Performing Arts at degree or HND level in Higher Education.
It can be used to broaden your studies and may lead to a career in the performing arts industries.
This course complements a range of subjects and is useful in building confidence and improving presentation skills which are useful in a range of careers, such as retail, travel and tourism, journalism, sales and marketing or teaching.
Is the course suitable for me?
The course demands practical, creative and communication skills in almost equal measure. You will extend your ability to create drama and theatre, both scripted and devised.
You will also be required to write about drama and to develop your powers of analysis to become an informed critic.
The course will also involve studying plays, playwrights and practitioners. Equally, you should be interested in going to the theatre to see a variety of plays.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Churchdown School Academy directly.