Business - BTEC Level 3 at The North Durham Academy
A Vocational A Level in Business is a practical, work-related course. Students learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. Students focus on a particular subject area and develop a range of specialist skills and knowledge. This course is suitable for students who:
- have a keen interest in business and how it is developed;
- enjoy studying a subject that is relevant to their own lives and experience;
- want to find out more about business through personal investigation;
- are interested in developing an understanding of how businesses work, develop and make a profit;
- want to study a course that is active and enjoyable; and
- want to move to related career or higher education.
Students will complete projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. Most of the units studied are assessed through coursework; coursework can take many forms including written reports, presentations, displays, video recordings. The results of each of these pieces of coursework are then added together to calculate the final grade. There may be some written examinations for this course depending upon the topics chosen for study which may vary given the interests and career aspirations of the students who select this course.
Into the future:
Learners may progress within employment to professional qualifications such as those offered by the Chartered Institute of Marketing, Management Accountants and Personnel Development. Learners may also further progress into higher education degree courses or BTEC Higher National Certificate/Diploma courses in Business. By studying this course, pupils will be able to go into a career in any area. It is particularly useful for those pupils who want to open their own business or work in the finance, accountancy, marketing or HR industries.
How to apply:
To apply for a place at NDA16+ students should complete the application form available on our website.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible. All applicants will be invited to discuss the course/courses applied for with a senior member of staff to ensure students are selecting the right course/courses. To help with the process we will also look at recent student reports and the attainment information provided by subject staff. Any offer of a place at North Durham Academy may well be dependant on students achieving specified GCSE grades.
General Entry Criteria
The general criteria for entry to Year 12 of North Durham Academy’s 16+ courses are as follows:
- Most A Level and BTEC Level 3 courses: 5 separate GCSE subject passes at grades A* to C, including Maths and English.
- Meet the additional subject-specific requirements which are needed for some courses.
- For Maths, Science and Psychology courses, students will be required to complete a ‘Maths for Sixth Form’ course.
- Level 1/2 VRQ Courses: 4 GCSE grades at D or above preferably including Maths or English.
- Attend the Induction course in July and complete the Summer Bridging study packs relevant to the courses you want to study prior to enrolment.
- Agree to the conditions of the Sixth form Learning Agreement.
Any personal issues regarding entry criteria and extenuating circumstances can be raised and discussed at interview.
Students need 5 separate GCSE/BTEC subjects at C or above including Maths or English at C or above.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The North Durham Academy directly.