Barbering Intermediate Apprenticeship at Truro and Penwith College
The Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering is a job ready qualification based on National Occupational Standards.
This qualification will provide you with the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills to work competently as a barber. Throughout this qualification you will ensure responsibility to reduce risks to health and safety, advice and consult with clients, shampoo, and condition and treat the hair and scalp, cut hair using basic barbering techniques, cut facial hair to shape using basic techniques and dry and finish men’s hair.
You will be supervised by expert barbering staff and assessed on your occupational competence.
The programme includes:
- Advise and consult with clients - to develop your knowledge and understanding of the important skill of consulting with your clients to determine their ideas and requirements.
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp - to develop your knowledge, understanding and skill for shampooing, conditioning and treating the hair and scalp.
- Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work - to develop your knowledge, understanding and skills to be able to take responsibility for improving your performance at work and working well with your colleagues.
- Cut men’s hair – to develop your knowledge, understanding and cutting skills involved in barbering to achieve a variety of looks and neckline finishes for men using club cutting, scissor over comb, clipper over comb, thinning and freehand techniques.
- Cut facial hair – to develop your knowledge, understanding and skills for cutting beards and moustaches.
- Dry and finish men’s hair - to develop your knowledge, understanding and skills for using a range of styling techniques to dry men’s hair to create a variety of finished looks.
- Create basic outlines and detailing in hair - to develop your knowledge, understanding and skills to use a variety of clipping and cutting techniques to create straight and curved lines. You will learn how to use these techniques to finish the perimeter edge of haircuts.
- Colour and lighten men’s hair - to develop your knowledge, understanding and skills for changing men’s hair colour using semi-permanent, quasi-permanent, permanent and lightening products.
The Intermediate Apprenticeship in Barbering been designed to enable students to progress directly into employment as a qualified Barber and progression onto Advanced Apprenticeship in Barbering.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Truro and Penwith College directly.