English Literature A Level at Ysgol Y Strade
- Study texts chosen by your teacher and be guided by your teacher to study your own choice of texts
- Analyse and appreciate writers’ techniques
- Think creatively about links between texts
- Understand the background and contexts of texts
- Read creatively in order to produce your own creative piece
LT1: Comparing modern poetry and studying a modern play
- Writing about two texts
- Writing a creative response and commentary
LT3: Comparing e.g. 2 novels and poetry
LT4: Studying pre 1800 poetry and a Shakespeare drama
Although each student will be considered on an individual basis for entry onto the course it would be beneficial to have a C grade at GCSE in English Language and English Literature.
LT1: Exam 2 hours 30 minutes
LT2: Internal assessment: 3 pieces of work
LT3: Internal assessment 3,000 word essay
LT4: 2 hour 30 minute exam
- An opportunity to enjoy broadening your knowledge of classical and modern literature and become a confident, independent reader and critic.
- A versatile academic subject valued by all universities and employers as it provides an excellent basis to study and pursue careers in a variety of areas e.g. law, business, journalism, media, civil service, marketing, administration, library and information systems, editing and publishing, education.
- A subject providing valuable transferable skills:in depth reading and research; analysing and interpreting; all the communication skills including presenting arguments.
Examining Board: WJEC
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Y Strade directly.