Business Studies A Level at The King's School, Grantham
Business Studies is about how decisions are made within organisations. It is an outward looking subject where students must have an interest in applying their knowledge to the real world. The focus is on being able to analyse how decisions are made and evaluate the outcome within a business environment.
What skills/qualities are required?
- Communications skills – both verbal and written. The ability to write good English is particularly important
- Reasonable level of numeracy; particularly an ability to interpret data
- Analytical skills
- Evaluation skills
- Organisational skills
- Independent learning and research skills
- Working with others
- Analysing the strategic direction of a business
- How to pursue strategies
- Choosing strategic direction
- Managing strategic change
You will learn through listening, participating in discussions, making own notes, extended writing, working with others, evaluating your own work and that of others, visits, extended reading and research, work experience, and engaging in a variety of techniques which support personal and co-operative learning. The majority of learning is through visual and auditory means.
The school’s Published Admissions Number (PAN) is 30. This is the maximum number of places which will be available in Year 12 for candidates who have attended schools other than The King’s School in Year 11. The criteria for admission to the Sixth Form will be:
- 6 GCSE passes in different subjects at Grade B or better (to include Maths and English), with Grade B or better in at least 3 subjects to be studied at A Level;
- A viable programme of study of either 3 or more GCE AS Level subjects (excluding General Studies) or an Advanced Diploma plus one GCE AS Level subject.
If there are more applicants than places, places will be offered on the basis of overall GCSE performance calculated on a points system where A* = 58 points, A = 52 points, B = 46 points, C = 40 points, D = 34 points, E = 28 points, F = 22 points, G = 16 points, subject to the following:
- an applicant must meet the standards outlined in bullet point 1 above.
- priority will be given to candidates in the *care of the local authority.
In the event of a tie for the final place the following criterion will apply; distance from **home to school measured in a straight line by Microsoft MapPoint software between the post office address point of the home and the post office address point of the school.
If there are more applicants than places available in a particular AS Level subject, places in that subject will be allocated according to the following criteria in the order shown:
- GCSE grade in that subject (where applicable);
- Overall GCSE score (in terms of average points per subject entry).
- Exam Paper
- Mock exam
Business Studies can lead to opportunities in both the public and private sectors. There are now many degree and sandwich courses which combine Business Studies or Management Studies with other subjects e.g. languages, engineering, ICT, law. Career opportunities available are diverse, including marketing, advertising, accounts and finance, management, administration, public relations and personnel. A qualification in Business Studies enables students to use their knowledge in different fields, e.g. arts administration, retailing, health service and hotel management. There are career opportunities both inside and outside the UK.
Pen, pencil, ruler, calculator
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The King's School, Grantham directly.