Dance A Level at Sydenham School - Sydenham and Forest Hill Sixth Form
The study of dance enables students to develop socially whilst promoting creativity, fitness and well-being. As students become performers, they’ll develop their confidence, selfesteem and team working skills.
Year 12 Core Content
- Choreography: What's assessed—Choreography and performance of a solo. Performance in a duet/trio
- Critical engagement - What's assessed - Two areas of study – chosen from five (one compulsory area of study). The reflection and understanding of own choreographic and performance practice
We recognise the role of dance in young people’s lives and students will be able to study a range of dance styles. Students will study relevant and exciting sources for all choreography and broadened areas of study. We’ve also taken care to ensure the assessment structure will give students of all abilities the chance to excel. Core Content
- Performance (solo and quartet)
- Choreography - What's assessed - Solo performance linked to a specific practitioner within an area of study. Performance in a quartet. Group choreography
- Critical engagement -What’s assessed—Knowledge, understanding and critical appreciation
Grade B in GCSE Dance
Minimum point score of 38 including Maths and English at grade 4 at GCSE. This is equivalent to 4B and 4C grades overall at GCSE. Students will also need to achieve the subject specific criteria below:
NEW GCSE POINT SCORE GCSE grade 2017 Points:
- G 1.00
- F 1.50
- E 2.00
- D 3.00
- C 4.00
- B 5.50
- A 7.00
- A* 8.50
Assessment includes a combination of practical dance tasks alongside creative extended writing assignments.
This equips students with the necessary skills and experience to study dance further, or embark on an exciting career in the arts.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sydenham School - Sydenham and Forest Hill Sixth Form directly.