Music AS at Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth
Why study Music?
- extend the skills, knowledge and understanding needed to communicate through music and to take part in making music and extend their appreciation of the diverse and dynamic heritage of music, promoting spiritual and cultural development.
- develop particular strengths and interests encouraging life-long learning and providing access to music- related and other careers.
- recognise the interdependence of musical skills, knowledge and understanding and the links between the activities of performing / realising, composing and appraising.
- contrasting areas of study: Orchestral music (Western Classical Tradition) and Musical Theatre
- the use of musical elements including harmonic progressions and relationships
- musical structures including established forms
- the relationship between music and its context, including an awareness of the influences which maintain continuity and cause change.
Unit 1: Performing
A performance consisting of a minimum of two pieces either as a soloist or as part of an ensemble or a combination of both. One piece must reflect the musical characteristics of one area of study.
Unit 2: Composing
- A piece of at least 1 minute duration which uses the techniques associated with the Western Classical Tradition, in response to a brief set by WJEC. Learners will have a choice of four set briefs.
- A free composition of at least 2 minutes duration.
Unit 3: Appraising
Two areas of study:
Area of study A: The Western Classical Tradition (Part 1)
- The Symphony 1760-1830 including one set work, Symphony Number 103, Drum Roll, Haydn, Movements 1 and 2.
- Religious Choral Music 1730-1800 including one set work, Requiem, Mozart (Requiem, Dies Irae, Tuba Mirum and Rex Tremendae).
A choice of one area of study from:
Area of study B: Rock and Pop 1965-1990
Area of study C: Musical Theatre, Porter, Rodgers, Schönberg and Lloyd-Webber
Area of study D: Jazz 1940-1965.
- Performance 6-8 minutes
- Compositions 3-6 minutes
- Written Examination 1 hour 30 mins
- Assessed externally in May.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth directly.