Travel & Tourism BTEC Level 3 Diploma at John Leggott Sixth Form College
You will study units including destinations, customer service, marketing, events organisation and employability within the travel and tourism industry.
In Year 1 you will study the following units:
- Unit 1 - Investigating the Travel & Tourism Sector: a sound introduction to Travel & Tourism, its components and how they link together.
- Unit 2 - The Business of Travel & Tourism: investigates features of different Travel &Tourism organisations in terms of their structure, operation & financial performance.
- Unit 3 - The UK as a Destination: provides the opportunity to explore tourism within the UK.
- Unit 4 - Customer Service in Travel & Tourism: develop understanding of what excellent customer service means in practice for tourism organisations & develop these skills.
- Unit 7 - European Destinations: the opportunity to study the European travel market.
- Unit 8 - Long Haul Travel Destinations: develop understanding of the types of destinations available in the long haul market and what makes them attractive to tourists within the UK.
In Year 2 you will study the following units:
- Unit 5 - Marketing in Travel & Tourism: introduction to marketing in the context of the Travel &Tourism sector.
- Unit 6 - Preparing for Employment in Travel & Tourism: preparation for working in the Travel & Tourism sector.
- Unit 11 - Investigating the Cruising Industry: develop knowledge about the cruise industry environment and opportunities for employment with a range of cruise operators.
- Unit 12 - Responsible Tourism: introduction to the principles of responsible tourism; taking into consideration its impact on the environment of the destination and the lives of its people.
- Unit 14 - Specialist Tourism: the growth of the specialist tourism market.
- Unit 15 - Working as a Holiday Rep: the role of the holiday rep, their legal responsibilities and how they deal with customers.
- Unit 17 - Events, Conferences & Exhibitions: introduction to the different kinds of events, conferences and exhibitions, their venues and variety of organisations involved in setting them up.
GCSE average 4.0 or above including 5 C grades.
A combination of practical activity, projects, portfolios and external assessment as well as national tests in functional skills.
You could go directly into the world of work or further training or move into Higher Education to study a wide variety of degree courses including travel and tourism, operations management, business studies or another subject you are interested in.
Popular activities include First Aid and there is the opportunity to take part in the Yorkshire Tourist Board’s Welcome Host and Customer Service programmes.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Leggott Sixth Form College directly.