Land-Based Studies (Including Agriculture) Level 1 Diploma at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
This course offers you an opportunity to take part in a variety of exciting practical projects, both outside on the estate working with cattle and sheep and also in the animal care unit with a variety of animals such as rodents, reptiles and birds.
It will include a number of educational visits to such places as zoological gardens, wild life parks, farms, agricultural shows or markets.
This course provides an ideal introduction to land-based industries such as agriculture, or animal care and will help you decide if these are areas you would like to work in.
It will provide you with the opportunity to gain a variety of transferable skills such as handling both small and large animals, grooming, conducting health checks, tractor driving or fencing. You will experience working in a range of environments relevant to the industry and will be taught in both practical and theory based sessions.
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Care of Farm Animals
- Handling, Feeding and Accommodation of Small Animals
- Wildlife and Conservation
- Repair and Maintenance of Fencing, Paths and Other Structures
- Tractor Driving
- No formal entry qualifications are required
- All applicants will undergo an initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Places will be offered following a satisfactory interview
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Each unit will be assessed by a combination of assignments, class exercises, practical assessments and end-of-unit assessments.
There is also an online health and safety test. All students are expected to undertake work experience relevant to their area of interest.
Study options may include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Agriculture
- Intermediate Apprenticeship In Agriculture
- Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care
- Level 2 Diploma in Horse Care
Employment options may include:
- Farm work
- Conservation work
- Horticulture work
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.