Professional Cookery Level 2 Diploma at North Hertfordshire College
Our catering and hospitality courses include lots of opportunities for you to get hands-on experience of the world of work, including:
- Work experience with businesses like Galvin at Windows, Alimentum, Hermitage Road and Hanbury Manor
- Visits to Billingsgate Seafood School, Hanbury Manor and Fine Food Fair
- Attending the Game to Eat Workshop for level 3 professional cookery students
- Attending the environmental health presentation.
Professional cookery: you’ll develop your basic catering skills by looking more closely at kitchen workplace skills; costing and menu planning; healthier food and special dietary requirements; practical gastronomy for fish, vegetable, meat, poultry, game dishes, bakery and pastry skills.
Through this course you’ll learn about:
- Food preparation and cookery including meat, offal, poultry, fish, shellfish, fruit and vetetables
- Bakery and pastry work including hot and cold desserts, puddings and paste products
- Healthier foods
- Special diets
- Menu planning
- Health and safety
- Food safety.
To join this course, you’ll need:
- Four GCSEs at grade D or above including maths and English; or,
- Four GSCEs at grade D or above, plus functional skills level 1 maths and English; or,
- A level 1 qualification in a relevant subject area, passed with a Merit or Distinction grade – plus maths and English GCSE grade D or above, or functional skills level 1 maths and English.
This course is assessed through assignments and projects. You’ll only sit exams if you’re also doing maths or English GCSE or functional skills.
Price on application.
Students may be charged additional costs to pay for course materials, uniform if required, trips and visits. Financial help may be available for these costs, please contact for more information.
You do not have to pay course fees if you are between 16 and 18 years old and have been living in the UK or an EU country for three years prior to starting your studies.
If you are over 18 please speak to a client advisor.
Having successfully completed this course, you’ll be able to progress to:
- Level 3 courses including advanced diploma in professional cookery
- Paid employment in the sector.
Please visit our website for further information - www.nhc.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Hertfordshire College directly.