Applied Science BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate at The Holy Trinity Church of England Secondary School
In this course you can expect to focus on practical scenarios in the scientific world and gain an introduction to the applied science sector. You can also expect to extend an interest in Science, particularly if you have careers such as medical or forensic science as a goal. This course is equivalent to one A-level course with the same UCAS points as an A Level Course.
The BTEC National Extended Certificate Applied Science is an assignment based course. Each of the following units will comprise of a series of assignments designed to provide students with the knowledge and techniques required for the applied science sector.
· Unit 1 - Fundamentals of Science. This Unit is used to develop practical skills in science. This covers all three A-level Science disciplines.
· Unit 2 - Working in the Science Industry. This Unit develops students’ knowledge of science based industry and includes laboratory design and management.
· Unit 4 - Scientific Practical Techniques. This Unit further develops students’ skills and understanding of scientific techniques and methods
· Unit 13 - Biochemistry and Biomedical techniques. This Unit introduces students to the techniques of Biochemistry as applied to a medical scenario.
· Unit 18 - Genetics and Genetic Engineering. Students are introduced to the concepts of genetics and the application to therapeutic genetic techniques.
· Unit 20 - Medical Physics. Concentrates on the application of Physics to Medical problems. X-rays, Ultrasound, radiotherapy.
GCSE Grade C in at least one Science.
Forensic Science, Medical Science, Biological Science.
Apprenticeships in areas of Healthcare Science, Food Science, Medical Science.
World of Work:
Students can progress from this qualification to work in the following areas: Healthcare Science, Forensic Science, Medical Science, Food Science, Biological Science.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Holy Trinity Church of England Secondary School directly.