Biology AS Level at Nelson Thomlinson School
• Biological molecules.
• Organisms exchanging substances with their environment.
• Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms.
• Six required practicals that will be conducted in lessons and internally assessed (content may be tested in external exams, however).
- An average of a GCSE Grade B from the AQA examined modules Biology 2, Chemistry 2 and Physics 2
- or the equivalent examined modules from another exam board.
- Interested, motivated, tenacious and organised.
- Good data analysis and interpretation skills.
- Good practical skills.
- Prepared to allocate time outside lessons to consolidate understanding; there is a large volume of theoretical information to be learnt which then needs to be applied to a range of novel situations.
Paper 1: 75 marks; 50% of AS – written exam (1 hour 30 minutes) covering content from topics 1 – 4, including relevant practical skills (short answers; comprehension).
Paper 2: 75 marks; 50% of AS – written exam (1 hour 30 minutes) covering content from topics 1 – 4, including relevant practical skills (short answers; extended response questions)
Biology is a facilitating subject and can be used to access numerous Degree courses. It is useful to prepare students for courses in Medicine, Veterinary Science, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy, Nursing (human and veterinary), Biology, Biochemistry, Marine Biology, Zoology, Botany, Ecology and Psychology.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nelson Thomlinson School directly.