Physics A Level at Beaminster School
Physicists looks at the interaction between huge masses such as the planets right down to particles on a sub-atomic scale; we study the science of matter, energy force and motion. Maths and Physics go hand in hand to provide an excellent comprehension of the world around us. Employers from the largest employment sectors in the world are looking hard for the right people with the skills acquired from studying Physics.
Physics therefore opens doors for a career in a large number of different areas. Students who wish to pursue an interest in Engineering, Technology, Medicine or even Music, will find parts of the Physics course to challenge and engage them.
Physics is highly regarded as a qualification, proving a student has intellect and ability. Students who choose Physics will learn how they can apply their knowledge in practical solutions to solve difficult problems. Students are required to work hard and must enjoy applying maths skills.
Year 1 (AS and A Level)
- Development of practical skills in Physics.
- Introduces the foundations of Physics using mathematical modelling.
- Analyse forces and motion in more challenging scenarios than GCSE.
- Learn about electrons, waves and photons through the study of electricity and the physics of waves.
Year 2 (A Level)
- Newtonian World and astrophysics – Looking at thermal physics, circular motion, oscillations, gravitational fields and cosmology.
- Particles and medical physics – Capacitors, electric fields, electromagnetism, nuclear and particle physics and medical imaging.
Physics GCSE (grade B) + another Science
GCSE (grade B) + Maths GCSE (grade B)
Core and Additional GCSE Science (grade B) And Maths GCSE (grade B).
Students who have not gained this grade may be considered at the discretion of the Head of 6th Form.
AS: Examined with two papers at the end of Year 12.
A Level: Examined with three papers at the end of Year 13.
Students will carry out internally assessed practical work throughout the course, and will be awarded a separate endorsement for this.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Beaminster School directly.