Health and Social Care (Health Studies) BTEC Extended Diploma Level 3 at St Helens College
This course is designed to equip you with the knowledge, understanding and skills to enable you to secure a successful career within the health and allied health professions.
During this course, you will cover the following units:
- Human lifespan development
- Working in health and social care
- Anatomy and physiology for health and social care
- Enquiries into current research in health and social care
- Meeting individual care and support needs
- Work experience in health and social care
- Principles of safe practice in health and social care
- Promoting public health
- Infection prevention and control
- Physiological disorders and their care
- Caring for individuals with dementia
- Complementary therapies for health and social care
- Health psychology
You should have at least five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and maths. A GCSE in science would be an advantage but it is not mandatory.
English and maths forms an important part of your future, ensuring you achieve the best success in your chosen career. But don't worry, if you haven't got the desired grades, we will still have a course available for you.
You will be assessed through various methods including externally marked assignments, examinations, case studies, presentations, reflective diaries, group displays, and video and campaign work.
If you are a school leaver, aged 16-18, (under the age of 19 on or before 31st August 2016), you do not pay tuition fees or examination and registration fees and may be eligible for additional support depending on your financial situation.
Once you have completed this course, you will be ready to apply for degree level study at your chosen university which is appropriate for your chosen career pathway.
Alternatively, you may decide to begin your career within the health care sector as a health care assistant, support worker or personal care assistant.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Helens College directly.