Media Studies AS / A2 Level at Farnham College
Our ideas and judgements about the world are largely derived from the mass media, with its global output surrounding and affecting us daily.
At AS Level
- you will learn about its power and influence as a global industry and develop an in-depth understanding of how to analyse and produce media texts.
- For the coursework module you will be producing several major media products with appropriate research underpinning them.
- You must be prepared to take part in discussions, academic research, learn how to use media production software with guidance and have a creative eye for design.
At A2 Level
- you will examine contemporary media issues and develop your production skills further with a comprehensive and demanding coursework brief
Farnham Sixth Form College has a wealth of media equipment and resources.
These include two suites of media-dedicated Apple Mac computers, a film studio, green-screen techology and industry-standard production hardware and software. The department has been graded 'Outstanding' for the past two years and examination results are consistently excellent.
- Knowledge and Understanding of UK Film Industry Ability to discuss representation within TV
- Using Photoshop to create an original Music Magazine
- Choice of numerous possible media productions, e.g. Music Video, Short Film, Regional Magazine, Documentary etc.
- Understanding of Key Media Concepts, e.g. Narrative, Genre, Audience, etc.
- Knowledge and Understanding of Post-Modernism in Media
5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including Maths and English
The course is assessed through practical production coursework (50%) and one exam (50%) each year.
No specialist equipment is needed for this course as all materials, software and hardware are provided or available for student use. A course material fee of £10 per year is charged to cover this. There are also occasional fees to cover the cost of course trips and study visits.
Degrees or careers in media, journalism, film or advertising.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Farnham College directly.