Psychology - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like to learn more about how and why human (and non-human) animals think, feel and behave? This course provides an introduction to Psychology and forms a valuable preparation for Higher Education. The knowledge you gain will also be useful in a range of careers in education, health, business, retail and other sectors.
Psychology has been defined as the scientific study of mind and behaviour. Psychologists use a variety of experimental and non-experimental methods, and their subject matter is you - a unique human individual. The course gives you an insight into this exciting discipline, as well as developing your critical thinking, literacy, numeracy and other skills. Prior knowledge of psychology is not required, but would be an advantage.
The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study in conjunction with other AS subjects, or possibly with other Level 3 courses. Our staff will be happy to help you put together a programme most suited to your needs. The course can also be taken on a part-time basis by mature students.
This course is delivered as follows:
- Group work
- Classroom-based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Mathematics, English or Welsh (1st language) and Science, at least a grade B in GCSE English or English Language or Welsh (1st language). Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level
- All students should be interested in the subject, and must be aware that Psychology is an academic, science-based course, requiring commitment and hard work.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed as follows:
- Two external examinations each year, in June
- There will be regular homework tasks, practical research projects and mock exams
- There is no externally assessed coursework component.
Whether you study the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions.
If you choose to continue your studies in Psychology, you could apply for a degree course in this subject. Your skills will also have applications in personnel work, journalism, the media and other industries. You may also consider Higher Education courses in related subjects, such as teacher training, medicine, nursing and health care, social work or counselling. Grŵp Llandrillo Menai offers suitable courses in some of these areas.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.