Professional Cookery - Level 2 NVQ (Full-Time) at Newcastle College
This course is designed to enable students to build on practical knowledge and skills to work in a competent manner within a professional catering environment, learning to prepare and cook a wide range of starters, main courses and desserts.
The course will develop practical skills and knowledge to further your career in the catering industry.
- Maintaining a safe working environment
- Maintaining and handling knives
- Working effectively as part of a Hospitality team
- Maintaining food safety during preparation and storage
- Preparing Fish for basic dishes
- Preparing Meat for basic dishes
- Preparing Poultry for basic dishes
- Cook and finish basic Fish dishes
- Cook and finish basic Meat dishes
- Cook and finish basic Poultry dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot sauces
- Prepare ,cook and finish basic soups
- Make basic stocks
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cold and hot desserts
You should have at least 4 GCSE grade c or above including English or Maths or a NVQ Level 1 Introduction to Professional Cookery and two years industrial
experience supported by a reference from your employer
Due to food safety and awarding body requirements during practical sessions all students must remove all visible jewellery, including facial piercing and keep nails short and polish free
Wear professional dress for practical sessions
Have full dexterity and have a good standard of personal hygiene
To be able to stand for long periods of time
Be able to communicate and work effectively with others
Reasonable IT skills
If English is not your first language, an IELTS score of 5 is required.
The Qualification is assessed in a number of ways. Theory work is assessed by formal assignments which will involve homework set on a weekly basis to develop your portfolio Practical Assessment is carried out over the whole year encompassing a variety of disciplines which are assessed a Unit at a time.
Successful students may progress onto an VRQ Level 3 Food Diploma in Professional Cookery Or NVQ Level 3 Professional Cookery
Commis Chefs or food operatives in a range of hospitality outlets
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Newcastle College directly.