Hospitality Services City and Guilds NVQ Diploma Level 2 at Derwentside College
Working in Chapters Restaurant, the College’s training restaurant, you will gain valuable hands-on experience. It is run within the realistic working environment of a busy restaurant and is open to the public and college staff.
You will learn basic preparation and cookery methods and the art of food and drink service practically as well as through theory related skills linked to the catering industry.
This course is made up of a joint qualification, including Food and Drink Service and Food Production.
You will study a variety of mandatory and optional unit
Examples of mandatory unit topic areas:
- Health and Safety
- Effective teamwork
- Customer Service skills
- Maintain Food Safety
Examples of optional unit topic areas:
- Serving food at the table
- Prepare and serve dispensed instant and hot drinks
- Prepare and cook meat and poultry
- Prepare and cook fish
- You need a L1 Catering qualification; or a minimum of 4 GCSE’s at grade D or above or equivalent qualifications plus Initial Basic Skills Assessment results which demonstrate working towards Level 1 in English and Maths.
- Previous experience in the Catering and Hospitality industry may be accepted dependent upon individual experience.
- An interview with specialist staff is essential for those without formal NVQ qualifications.
To gain the full qualification you must complete all units. You will be assessed by observation, questioning and products of work.
The assessment takes place over a period of time and is based on the individual’s competence. You will be formally assessed during your work in the college restaurant.
You may be able to progress to Level 3 Hospitality Supervisory, or an appropriate level Professional Cookery qualification dependent on experience.
Successful completion will assist you to gain employment in the Hospitality, Food, Travel and Tourism, Health care and Leisure industries.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derwentside College directly.