Further Mathematics A Level at Brooke Weston Academy
The two year course provides students with the opportunities to study some wider aspects of mathematics. Matrices and complex numbers are just two areas which are investigated on this course. The applied units studied are designed to develop logical problem solving through the use of algorithms and to study mechanics at a greater depth.
- D1 Module: Algorithms and linear programming to solve problems involving networks
- D2 Module: This module builds on topics introduced in D1. Extensive use of computer software is used in order to solve more complex problems.
- FP1 Module: Studies complex numbers and matrices
- FP2 Module: Graphical calculators, and investigate inverse trigonometrical and hyperbolic functions.
- M2 Module: Students will build on the work of the M 1 module by extending the range of concepts.
- NM Module: This module has an element of coursework and the main content examines methods for finding approximations for algebraic and calculus problems
Open to students who have gained at least a grade A at GCSE mathematics, an A* is preferred and the final decision on suitability is with the HoD. It is not possible to study this course without studying mathematics as well.
Further mathematics is a highly desirable qualification for students who wish to study mathematics or engineering at university and is recommended for maths applicants at Oxford and Cambridge. The skills of logical thinking and an analytical approach to problem solving are sought after in most managerial posts. Careers in mathematics, finance, science and engineering are open to students studying mathematics.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brooke Weston Academy directly.