Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) BTEC Level 3 Diploma (QCF) at Kantor King Solomon High School
Year on year the sport and active leisure sector outperforms the rest of the UK economy; this has been a trend since the end of the economic recession of the late 1990s, and researchers predict will continue to be the case for years to come, long after the sports legacy of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympics Games.
The annual contribution of the sport sector to the UK economy is over £8 billion. This sector has more than 36,000 employers creating work for more than 600,000 full-time and part-time employees, and 5 million plus volunteers. A signifi cant proportion of the total volunteer workforce is volunteering in sport, with most of them involved in sports coaching or activity leadership.
BTEC qualifi cations in Sport provide an introduction to the sector for learners looking to build a career in sport, within one of its occupational areas. These areas include careers in exercise and fi tness, coaching and leadership, sports development and the outdoors.
The BTEC qualifi cations have been developed in the sport and active leisure sector to:
- provide education and training for sport, leisure and recreation employees
- give sport, leisure and recreation employees opportunities to achieve a nationally recognised level 3 vocationally specifi c qualifi cation
- give full-time learners the opportunity to enter employment in the sport and active leisure sector or to progress to higher education vocational qualifi cations such as the Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Sport or related areas
- give learners the opportunity to develop a range of techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness) is 120 credits and has 720 guided learning hours (GLH). It consists of eight mandatory units plus optional units that provide for a combined total of 120 credits (where at least 90 credits must be at Level 3 or above).
- a BTEC level 2 qualification in Sport or a related vocational area
- a standard of literacy and numeracy supported by a general education equivalent to four GCSEs at grade A*-C
- other related level 2 qualifications
BTEC National units are assessed internally.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kantor King Solomon High School directly.