Chemistry A Level at Saltash.net Community School
The course is a useful preparation for students entering a highly technological world, allowing them to make informed decisions in the wide range of scientific issues with which they will be confronted.
- In the first year: Elements of Life, Developing Fuels, The Ozone Story, Elements from the Sea and What’s in a Medicine.
- In the second year: The Chemical Industry, Polymers and Life, Oceans, Developing Metals and Colour by Design.
- GCSE grade B or above in both Core and Additional Science (or B or above in Chemistry GCSE);
- Grade 6 (B) or above in Maths is preferable although individual circumstances may be considered - there is a minimum of 20% higher level mathematical content within the exams.
- Confidence in English Language - one of the A-level papers is ‘Scientific Literacy in Chemistry.
- A resilient and conscientious attitude. There is a large jump in both difficulty and work load from GCSE to A-level. This can be challenging and a mature approach is needed to seek help and knuckle down when problems arise.
Two exam papers both 90 minutes long, both contributing 50% towards the AS grade, covering all of the AS course content in both papers. Your practical skills will be assessed throughout the year.
Any AS exams taken will not count towards the A2 grade. Three papers: two x135 minute papers covering all of the course content from both years; one sixty minute written paper on chemistry practical skills. There will also be a practical endorsement covering your practical skills over the past two years.
- Chemistry A level is a requirement for entry into a very wide variety of courses at a higher level. Both the A level and the AS level are seen to be useful qualifications in the world of work.
- Apprenticeships for engineering, law, working in the chemical or pharmaceutical industry, biology or chemistry based degrees, medicine and other medical based pathways, environment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Saltash.net Community School directly.