Extended Project Qualification at Ursuline High School
The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) is equivalent to an AS Level qualification, with the possibility of attaining an A* grade. The EPQ allows each student to embark on a largely self-directed and self-motivated project. Students must choose a topic, plan, research and develop their idea and decide on their finished product.
We encourage creativity and curiosity. A project topic may be directly related to a student’s main study programme, but should look beyond the specification. Students will learn taught skills such as how to choose a topic and phrase a title; how to select, evaluate and reference research sources; how to structure an argument, as well as projectmanagement skills.
A finished EPQ product may take the form of a:
- research based written report (5,000 words)
- production* (e.g. charity event, fashion show or sports event etc.)
- an artefact* (e.g. piece of art, a computer game or realised design)
*A written report must accompany these options.
- EPQ is an additional qualification choice, taught in just 2 periods a week; students are expected to do the majority of their project outside lesson times.
- Students may choose to do a project on a topic of their choice.
- The EPQ can link to any subject, future career choices, or hobbies / interests.
- Promotes strong essay writing, investigative, research and management skills.
As well as the finished product, students must also record their project process in their Production Log and give a formal presentation about their project an audience. All aspects are assessed and grades A*-E awarded by the centre supervisor and coordinator; projects are then moderated by the examination board.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ursuline High School directly.