Sport Level 2 Diploma at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
In addition to a variety of sport-related modules, students can gain a range of further qualifications such as sports coaching and first aid as well as literacy and numeracy. There is an emphasis on practical learning and academic concepts are developed and applied in a realistic sport context. Students will extend their skills in a range of team and individual sporting activities including trying out more diverse activities such as combat sports. All students will receive free membership to Point 4 which has gym, spa and leisure facilities.
Students will cover a wide variety of subjects including fitness testing, development of fitness, practical sport, anatomy and physiology, effects of exercise on the body, planning and leading sport activities and injury in sport. As well as the opportunity to experience many different sports, students will also take part in cross college sports activities on a Wednesday afternoon.
Students can either opt to take part in Football Training or follow a Fitness Pathway with a view to progressing to roles in anything from physical education teaching, coaching, fitness training and leisure centre management to physiotherapy, occupational therapy and sport psychology. Work placements are offered a variety of settings including primary and secondary schools and leisure centres. The course is equivalent to 4 GCSEs (A*-C level) and prepares students for employment in the sports sector or progression onto Level 3 courses.
A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Unit 1: Fitness for Sport and Exercise
- Unit 2: Practical Sports Performance
- Unit 3: The Mind and Sports Performance
- Unit 4: The Sports Performer in Action
- Unit 5: Training for Personal Fitness
- Unit 6: Leading Sports Actvities
- 4 GCSEs at grade E or above (to include English and maths) or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 1 qualification
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Assessment is continuous, with assignments, projects and practical work.
On completion of the course, students have the opportunity to move straight into employment
- Leisure Centre Attendant
- Assistant Fitness Instructor
- Assistant Coach
Progression study options include
- Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma in Sport
- Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma in Public Services
Maths and English
All students following a full-time programme of study at HLC will study English and maths as part of their studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.