Drama & Theatre Studies A Level at Heworth Grange Comprehensive School
This course is designed for those students who have a genuine enthusiasm for the performing arts and a willingness to explore theory as well as carrying out a considerable amount of practical work.
Can offer either a Monologue or Duologue
can offer one of the following:
- Costume design
- Lighting design
- Set design
- Sound design
Creating performance 70%
Performance Contexts 1 30%Year 13
The Twentieth Century American Musical 30%
Performance Realisation 70%
- Devising (40%)
- Text in Performance (20%)
- Theatre Makers in Practice (40%)
In this part of the course you will work either as a performer or a designer
- Devise an original performance piece using one key extract from a performance text and a theatre practitioner as stimuli.
- There is a choice of text and practitioner and performances are internally assessed and externally moderated.
2. Text in Performance
A group performance or design realisation of one key extract from a performance text.
- This can be a monologue or duologue performance or design realisation from one key extract from a different performance text of the school’s choice.
3: Theatre Makers in Practice
- Live theatre evaluation – choice of performance.
- Practical study of a complete performance text – focusing on how this can be realised for performance.
- Practical exploration and interpretation of another complete performance text, in light of a chosen theatre practitioner – focusing on how this text could be reimagined for a contemporary audience.
- There is a choice of 15 performance texts and eight practitioners.
Grade C English Language
Experience of Performing Arts is not necessary, but students following the course must actively involve themselves in the three arts disciplines: drama, music & dance, and produce written assignments of a sufficient length and quality expected at this level.
- A portfolio (60 marks) which can written (2500–3000 words) or recorded (12–14 minutes) or can be a combination of both
- The devised performance/design realisation (20 marks)
Text in Performance (coursework):
- This component is externally assessed by a visiting examiner.
- Group performance/design realisation: worth 36 marks.
- Monologue or duologue/design realisation: worth 24 marks
Theatre Makers in Practice (written examination):
Section A: Live Theatre Evaluation (20 marks)
- You answer one question from a choice of two requiring you to analyse and evaluate a live theatre performance you have seen. (Notes can be used)
Section B: Page to Stage: Realising a Performance Text (36 marks)
- You answer two questions from the perspective of a performer and a designer based on the text you have studied demonstrating how you intend to realise the extract in performance.
Section C: Interpreting a Performance Text (24 marks)
- You answer one question from a choice of two from your chosen text to demonstrate how your re-imagined production concept will communicate ideas to a contemporary audience
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Heworth Grange Comprehensive School directly.