Progression into Further Education at Wirral Metropolitan College
This course is designed for 16 to 19 year olds who have withdrawn from a 16-19 study programme which they started in September 2016. It is also appropriate for young people who are not currently in employment, education or training or they may have applied too late to enrol onto full year programmes.
All of the skills are transferable to educational and training settings. The programme aims to:
- Develop students confidence and motivation
- Develop communication and teamwork skills
- Provide an introduction to the world of work
- Enable learners to gain knowledge and experience in vocational areas
- Develop essential career, social and personal development skills
- Assist learners in their awareness of opportunities available in employment
- Raise awareness of progression opportunities
- Enable learners to develop their literacy and numeracy skills
The qualification offered is Open Awards Entry Level Diploma in Skills for Further Learning and Employment. The Diploma, which is made up of 37 credits, is achieved by completing a wide range of units including:
- Participating in Vocational Tasters
- Skills for Employability
- Career Preparation
- Preparing for Work Experience
- Customer Service Skills
- Group and Teamwork
- Communication Skills
- Health and Safety Awareness
Students will create a portfolio of evidence which will include projects, reports, presentations, assignments and workbooks. During the programme students will also work on their maths, English and ICT skills, and have the opportunity to undertake Functional Skills qualifications.
- 16-18 years
- Satisfactory interview to assess motivation, communication skills, career planning
- Satisfactory reference
- Before starting your course, you will take assessments in English and maths to make sure that you will be able to meet the requirements of the course. It is expected that you will be working at Entry 3 level in both English and maths
If English is not your first language, you may need an assessment before enrolling on this course.
This course will include days out and trips throughout the year with the opportunity to attend overnight residential. There will be a fee payable to contribute towards the costs of these activities , costs will be advised at interview
It is expected that once you have competed this qualification you will progress into a vocational area to further develop your skills and achieve additional qualifications.
The timetable is subject to further changes depending upon the activities which have been arranged to meet the development needs of the individuals.
It is a vocational course and learners will be expected to take part in all activities during the year.
This course may require learners to wear personal protective equipment or a uniform, further information will be given in due course.
Study programmes are full-time courses for 16-18 year olds which include:
- A qualification such as BTEC Extended Diploma
- Meaningful work experience or preparation for work
- English and maths, if you don't already have GCSE grade A*-C in English and maths already
- Non-study activities such as tutorials, voluntary work, fund-raising/charity work, sport or trips
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wirral Metropolitan College directly.