Transport Maintenance - Light Vehicle Diploma Level 1 at Boston College
This course helps to build and equip the prospective Automotive Technician with the knowledge of basic vehicle systems for modern vehicles. The latest industry standard workshop equipment is available to allow learners the opportunity to gain hands on realistic and practical experience on a selection of specialist training rigs and vehicles.
The diploma is delivered 50% in theory and 50% in practical and covers health and safety, good housekeeping, job roles within the automotive industry, materials & fabrication and vehicle system identification in the following subjects:
- Health and safety procedures
- General good housekeeping activities
- Foundation engineering unit
- Light vehicle engines
- Light vehicle chassis systems
- Light vehicle electrical systems
- Light vehicle braking systems
- Light vehicle suspensions systems
- Light vehicle Steering systems
Delivery of the qualification is supplemented by visits to museums and shows, this helps broaden your perspective of progression opportunities following successful completion of the course.
In addition to your main course you may also study:
- Functional Skills or GCSE English or Maths (dependent on current GCSE grade)
Individual Learning Plans: You will have a personal tutor to help you to plan your learning journey on an individual basis. This is your opportunity to plan realistic targets and maximise your potential.
3 GCSEs at grades E or above (New GCSE grade - 2 or above) including Maths and English (or equivalent).
Successful completion of each unit is achieved by passing online exams and practical competency assessments.
Additional costs will include:
- Cost of corporate clothing as per subject area requirements (will be discussed at interview)
- Contribution towards educational visits
- Educational materials (pens, folders etc.)
You may be eligible for financial assistance through the College's Bursary scheme and Be Brilliant Foundation.
Successful completion of the course allows you to apply for an automotive apprenticeship or continue your studies on the Level 2 Motor Vehicle Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair IMI Diploma.
Specific Progression routes – FE, Apprenticeship, Employment
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Boston College directly.