Hair and Beauty Sector (Beauty Route) - Level 1 Diploma at Vision West Nottinghamshire College
This course will give you an insight into the beauty industry. You will study a broad range of units relating to beauty therapy, including health and safety, hand care, nail art, skin care, make-up application and pedicures.
- Introduction to the hair and beauty sector
- Presenting a professional image in a salon
- Create an image using colour for the hair and beauty sector
- Hand care
- Basic make up application
- Themed face painting
- Nail art application
- Provide basic manicure treatments
- Provide basic pedicure treatment
- Create an hair and beauty image
- Follow health and safety in the salon
- Working with others in the hair and beauty sector.
- Maths and English
- GCSE English and maths with at least 2 points (grade E)
- Plus a dexterity test, attendance at summer school if progressing from Entry Level, or attendance at a one-day 'welcome day' during July and August if a new learner.
You will need to attend an interview with the tutor before being accepted on to the course. You may also need to supply at least one written reference from a teacher or employer (in some cases two) and/or your current school or college report.
The course is assessed by continuous theory and practical assessments. The theory is assessed by written tests.
There are also assignments, where access to a computer is helpful but not always essential.
The practical assessments are performed in the Revive salon on paying clients.
All theory and practical work will be collated and presented in an evidence portfolio.
You'll have the opportunity to undertake work experience in a salon or spa, volunteering, and enterprise at the college.
What can I go on to study?
- Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- Level 2 Diploma in Hair and Media Make-up
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Vision West Nottinghamshire College directly.