Government and Politics AS/A2 at Abbeyfield School
The Government is the body of people and institutions which have the power to make laws, change the constitution and ultimately, to affect the way we live our lives. Politics is the process which enables political theory and ideologies to be put into practice via a number of systems and processes.
AS concentrates on government and politics in the UK. You will gain an understanding of:
- Political parties, party systems and pressure groups
- Electoral systems, parliamentary elections and voting behaviour
- Party ideologies
- The composition, role and power of government in the legislature, the executive and the judiciary
- The constitution, the EU and the rights of the individual a2 concentrates on government and politics in the USA and in general.
You will gain an understanding of:
- The us constitution and the legislature, executive and judiciary of the federal government
- Issues of representation and participation
- Political ideas, democratic theory and systems
- The role of the state and the processes of government
- The relationship between the state and the individual
C in English and Maths
B in English. Grade B in a Humanities subject at GCSE is desirable
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Abbeyfield School directly.