Animal Management Advanced Diploma Level 3 at Capel Manor College
Our advanced Animal Management courses can extend for up to two-years of full-time study depending on which programme you follow. Each course has been designed to prepare you for a rewarding and professional career in the animal industry.
Whilst having a strong practical basis in animal husbandry, the courses also cover key theoretical elements of applied animal sciences. You will:
- develop your understanding of animal health, immunology and diseases
- study animal biology and anatomy
- develop your practical animal skills including health checks, management plans and dispensing medication
- study animal nutrition and its impact on health
- undertake an investigative research-based or science project
- study animal behaviour and communication
- study animal welfare and breed development
- develop your understanding of farm livestock husbandry and management
- undertake practical animal training and study the underlying behavioural theories
- learn about zoo collection management, including nutrition, animal health, handling techniques, enrichment and enclosure design
- develop your understanding of animal breeding and genetics, including undertaking practical breeding projects
- develop your understanding of the role of a veterinary nurse including basic veterinary treatments such as bandaging, restraint techniques and use of equipment
- develop practical laboratory skills in biochemistry, chemistry and microbiology
- study the rescue and rehabilitation techniques used when dealing with British wildlife
- study wildlife habitats, ecology and conservation
- undertake a pet store design-project and develop your business management skills
- complete 300 hours of work experience.
The full-time extended two-year course will provide you with the opportunity to complete all the course units required for progression to Veterinary Universities, including veterinary medicine and nursing.
We want all of our students to maximise their personal development and prospects for employment or further study. While on your course you will continue to build skills relevant to work and study on our Skills Development programmes, which may include English, maths or computer skills.
You will need at least one of the following:
- at least 5 GCSEs at grades A* to C including a science related subject
- overall Distinction in an Animal Care Diploma (Level 2) or equivalent
- relevant prior learning or experience gained in an appropriate professional environment will be considered
- independent study skills are needed to be successful at this level
- you will be encouraged to attend our Summer School.
You will be asked to attend an interview to explore your interests, experience and ambitions and complete a screening test so that we can help you study. References are also considered.
Successful completion of this course will enable you to progress to:
- Higher Education, you can study for a degree in a wide variety of animal related topics including: zoology, animal science or management, veterinary sciences or nursing and animal behaviour
- employment in a range of animal management and animal science careers
- from 2017 you will be able to progress to our animal related Foundation Degree at Capel.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Capel Manor College directly.