Portuguese A level at Bishop Thomas Grant Catholic Secondary School
AS is the first half of the A level course. It is a stepping stone to the full A level qualification. You can take just the AS or you can decide at the end of the AS course to take the full A level. The AS will develop your Listening, Writing, Reading & Speaking skills but you will not be tested on your speaking skills. You will explore the following topic areas:
- Daily Life (including current affairs & media),
- Society and The World of work (including Business & I.T)
- Education and the Environment.
In addition to language skills you will be tested on your knowledge of institutions and the way of life in the Portuguese speaking countries. You will also learn translation skills, mainly English into Portuguese.
The full A level is made up of the AS unit plus one more unit. This means that you take your Reading, Writing and Listening skills to a higher level. You study two more topic areas:
- The International Context
- The Portuguese Speaking world.
You will be introduced to Portuguese Literature, film and media. You will study this in some depth.
Other Skills Developed
- Analytical skills
- Grammatical knowledge
- Debating techniques
- Creative writing
AS (Year 12)
- Healthy Living/ Lifestyle
- Communication technology
- School life
- Work and training
A2 (Year 13)
- Multi-cultural Society
- Contemporary Social Issues
- A cultural topic
- An historic topic
Grade B in GCSE Portuguese
- Regular Attendance
- 5 hours of private study per week
- An interest in current affairs
- Regular attendance at conversation classes
- Unit 1:Listening, reading and writing 100% of total AS (50% of total A Level)
- Unit 2: Listening, reading and writing 50% of total A level
- Translation and Interpretation
- International Organisations
- Business and Industry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bishop Thomas Grant Catholic Secondary School directly.
Last updated date: 01 December 2016