Spanish at Waldegrave School and Sixth Form
Global communication has never been more important. Studying languages at A level develops communication skills, broadens horizons and enhances future career opportunities. Employers consistently rank skills in modern foreign languages as among the most desirable in an ever-competitive global jobs’ market.
Who would it suit?
If you love languages, through higher level study at A level you will develop your oral fluency and conversation skills through a range of stimulating and absorbing topics, while extending and perfecting your grammatical knowledge. All lessons are taught entirely in Spanish.
“Nothing beats communicating in a foreign language. Studying languages changed – and continues to change – my perception of the world.”
At AS, the core content is:
- Social issues and trends (los valores tradicionales y modernos ; el ciberespacio ; la igualdad de los sexos)
- Artistic culture (la influencia de los ídolos ; la identidad regional en España ; el patrimonio cultural)
- the film María, llena eres de Gracia, directed by Joshua Marston (2004)
At A Level, the core content is:
- Social issues and trends (los valores tradicionales y modernos ; el ciberespacio ; la igualdad de los sexos) and Multiculturalism (La inmigración ; el racismo ; la convivencia)
- Artistic culture (la influencia de los ídolos ; la identidad regional en España ; el patrimonio cultural) and Political Life (Jóvenes de hoy, ciudadanos de mañana ; monarquías y dictaduras ; movimientos populares)
- the film María, llena eres de Gracia, directed by Joshua Marston (2004) and a play or novel (tbc)
At AS, an oral examination, Paper 3, (that involves a discussion based on two stimulus cards); Paper 1, a listening, reading and writing examination and Paper 2, a writing examination. At A2, an oral examination (including an individual research project); and Paper 1, listening, reading and writing and Paper 2, a writing examination.
A languages or joint language degree at university, a wide range of careers in international companies and foreign travel, teaching, journalism, the arts, finance and almost any field.
Enrichment opportunities include filmsand talks (at the BFI), exhibitions and conferences; Year 12 self-organised work experience opportunity to Spain; and a work experience opportunity in Year 13.
Who to contact for more advice?
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.