Accessibility links

Dance at Ryde Academy

Course description

The Exam Board advises that students will receive 4-5 hours of teaching time per week.  That is two double and one single lesson a week.  It is a physically demanding and challenging  course and requires the development of technique and fitness to achieve good grades in it.  40% of the first year is Applied Dance theory, tested in a written exam, and the other 60% is assessed practically through a visiting moderator.

Students may also be able to increase their UCAS points total by taking Trinity Guildhall examinations in Performing Arts or Musical theatre.  A new grade will be offered every term with the opportunity to collect up to 160 points by taking three practical exams over three terms.

The certificate in Safe and Effective dance Practice (Level 5) is unique in its specificity.  Candidates registering for the qualification will be assessed regarding their knowledge of the key principles underlying healthy dance practice, including basic applied anatomy and psychology, nutrition, and injury management.  in achieving the qualification, candidates will be able to demonstrate their knowledge of safe and effective dance practice to employers, parents and participants.  On completing the certificate, students will have obtained the knowledge required to work safely and effectively with professional dancers, dancers in training, children and dancers in the community.  A solid foundation for any students wishing to pursue a career as a Performing Arts Teacher.

Regular trips to the theatre locally and nationally will be a priority, so that students are exposed to a diverse spectrum of both professional and amateur works.

Course content

Unit 1 (AS) The Dancer as a performer.  The process and craft of choreography.  the significance of dances.

Unit 2 (AS) Application of Unit skills in creating a Solo choreography AND performance in a Duo/Trio

Unit 3 (A2) Section A: Jazz Dance; a form of dancing based on African origins.  It focuses on the use of complex rhythms and techniques that include the isolation of body parts.  Throughout the 20th century a wide range of jazz dance styles has evolved for both stage and film. Candidates answer one question from a choice of two on their chosen area of study.  We will study 'Dance in the American Musicals of the 1930s and 1940s'.  Examples of practitioners for this study area: Busby Berkeley: An American Director and choreographer. Fred Astaire: American Dancer, choreographer and actor.  Gene Kelly: American actor, dancer, choreographer and film director.  Section B: Candidates study one set work from a choice of 3 and answer one question from a choice of 2.  The questions require the critical analysis and appreciation of one set work.  We will study Revelations (Alvin Ailey 1960)

Unit 4 (A2). Section A.  The process of group choreography from investigation and research of ideas through outcome.  Section B.  The development of solo performance skills in relation to a specific practitioner within an area of dance study from Unit 3, or the choreographer of any of the three set works.

 

Entry requirements

Students need to be disciplined and committed to improving their dance skills whilst having GCSE, BTEC or technical dance training in a classical or theatre dance genre (such as ballet, jazz, contemporary, tap or modern dance).

Assessment

AS - Unit 1 Understanding dance 40% (20% A2) Written Exam

AS - Unit 2 Choreography & Performance 60% (30% A2) Practical Exam

A2 - Unit 3 Dance Appreciation Content and Context 25% Written Exam

A2 - Unit 4 Group Choreography and Solo performance 25% Practical exam

 

Future opportunities

Professional Dancer, Professional Choreographer, Dance teacher (private Sector Dance School), Dance teacher (school setting), Head of Performing Arts (school setting), Dance/performing Arts Lecturer, Theatre Manager, Arts Journalist, Theatre Promoter.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ryde Academy directly.

Last updated date: 01 September 2016
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 Years

Contact details

Venues