Music at St Francis Xavier's College
The GCE Music course for students in Years 12 and 13 follows the specifications of Edexcel Syllabus, code number 8MU01 (AS Level) and 9 MU01 (A2 Level). The course is designed to integrate the three musical skills of performing, composing and analysing, as well as developing an understanding of the historical and contextual uses of music.
If you enjoy Music and would like to discuss whether or not you meet the above entry requirements please see Miss Anderson (Head of Department) for an informal discussion. As in every subject, it is not advisable to embark on a course of study without the appropriate experience or qualifications.
Students will develop practical skills in music-making activities including:
* Performing (e.g. solo, ensemble, improvising)
* Composing (free composition, technical study)
* Aural analysis skills
Students must have the following qualifications in order to be accepted on to the course:
* GCSE Music - at least Grade B
* Grade 5 Theory of Music
* Grade 5 on a Solo Instrument/Voice (Two of the above may be accepted if composition at GCSE is exceptional)
* Evidence of having taken an active part in school ensembles or concerts in Years 10 and 11.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Francis Xavier's College directly.