Information Technology - Btec Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma at Grange Technology College
A two year course for people who use ICT in the work place (ICT User) or wish to hold an ICT role within an organisation (ICT Practitioner); This course is highly recommended for those students wishing to study BTEC National Certificate in Business alongside an IT qualification as the skills taught can be applied in industry.
For more information contact Mrs J Morrell, Subject Leader
There are two core units which must be studied plus 4 specialist units selected by the college. All 6 units are assessed via a portfolio of evidence. It is crucial for you to be organised and manage your time effectively as there are many deadlines to meet.
The first core unit, Communication and Employability Skills for IT, identifies interpersonal and organisational skills required in any sector of employment, identifies the required characteristics of an IT employee and teaches you how to communicate effectively using ICT.
The second core unit, Computer Systems, helps you understand both the hardware and software components of computer systems and teaches you how to undertake routine computer maintenance.
The four specialist units taught are dependent on staffing and the interests of the group. At the moment the following are studied:
- Information Systems; the characteristics of business information and how it is used
- Advanced Spreadsheet Skills; to use formulae and functions to solve complex problems and create efficient automated and customisable spreadsheets that enable easy analysis and interpretation
- Website Production and Management; to design and create interactive websites for a given purpose
- Digital Graphics and Computers; to create and modify graphic images to meet user requirements.
This course is worthwhile for students from a diverse background with an interest in ICT and its use. Entry criteria: minimum grade C in English or a merit in BTEC IT level 2. A level 2 qualification in ICT, e.g. BTEC or DiDA is an advantage but not a prerequisite.
This course consists of 100% coursework and therefore is demanding throughout the year; deadlines must be kept and to do this you need to be organised and manage your time well.A number of group visits have taken place such as;
- A visit to the WOW Academy introduces you to up-to-date technology; 3D videoing, animation, game design, graphic manipulation.
- An enterprise activity day working in teams to solve problems: Students work for a chocolate box manufacturing company exporting boxes to Marseille, France. Each group is to design a chocolate box, produce an advertising poster and TV commercial. The best team wins.
This course provides a sound basis for progression to a full range of HE courses as it shows computer literacy at a high level. It also prepares you for a course in ICT, Business Systems, and Management Information Systems.
Employment- As BTEC is highly recognised by employers this course can take you straight into employment. Jobs that are commonly taken after completion of the qualification are: systems analyst, computer service technician and computer operator.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grange Technology College directly.