Geology AS & A Level at Scarborough Sixth Form College
- Study how our Earth works, Earth System Science.
- Study and attempt to predict earthquakes, volcanoes, and landslides.
- Work out how to find and evaluate water, mineral, and energy resources.
- Learn about the evolution of life on Earth (including the dinosaurs).
- Date key events, examine mass extinctions and environmental change.
- Predict the impact of human activities, such as ‘Fracking’, exploring for oil and gas, mining and quarrying activities.
- Draw conclusions from incomplete data, show an awareness of the wider environment and develop a pragmatic and practical approach.
- Develop practical skills which will be assessed alongside your examinations.
Module 1 – Fundamentals of geology
F1 Elements, minerals and rocks
F2 Surface and internal processes
F3 Time and change
F4 Earth Structure and global tectonics
Module 2 – Interpreting the geological record
G1 Rock forming processes
G2 Rock deformation
G3 Past life and past climates
G4 Earth materials and natural resources
Module 3 – Geological themes
T2 Geological map applications
T3 Quaternary geology*
T4 Geological evolution of Britain*
T5 Geology of the lithosphere*
Learners will study one of the options T3, T4 and T5, indicated with an asterisk*.
You will need to meet the A Level entry requirements.
This consists of 3 examination papers as well as a practical endorsement.
Paper 1 Geological investigations 2 hours and 15 minutes
Consists of 2 data response questions and an investigation of the geology of an area shown on a simplified geological map.
Paper 2 Geological principles and processes 1 hour and 45 minutes
Consists of 6 data response questions
Paper 3 Geological applications 2 hours
Consists of 2 data response questions, an investigation of the geology of an area from a Geological Survey map extract and 3 data response questions from chosen option.
Practical endorsement – non examined assessment, this involves the assessment of a candidates practical competence, this will be reported separately and will not contribute to the finial grade.
Exploration / Engineering / Surveying / Museum Work / Archaeology / Environmental Monitoring / Conservation / Teaching
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Scarborough Sixth Form College directly.