Dance (Contemporary) BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate at City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College
Are you passionate about contemporary dance? This 100% practical course focuses on the performance of contemporary dance, aiming to develop the skills needed to bring this style of dance to life. You will develop skills and drive to meet the challenges of the competitive and demanding dance profession of today.
Topics you will study:
• Detailed knowledge of contemporary dance styles including Graham, Cunningham, Release and Contemporary Jazz through practical technique classes.
• Development of technical and expressive contemporary dance skills.
• Historical & intercultural understanding of the evolution of contemporary dance.
• Detailed knowledge of choreography through a range of approaches (theatre, video, internet, site-specific, with community groups including a range of local primary schools)
• Critical reflection skills through self, peer and group evaluation.
Four GCSEs grade A-C, preferably including Maths and English. This is a guideline rather than a requirement and the college will create a programme most suitable for you as an individual.
Awarding Body: Pearson
Assessment: Practical Assessment - 100%
Results 2016: 100%
This course is free to students aged 16-19 years old
This BTEC Dance (Contemporary) is suitable for anyone wanting to pursue the arts or dance in Higher Education, or as support for any future course requiring good communication and group work skills. Former students have gone onto study at Northern School of Contemporary Dance, London Studio Centre, Urdang and Bird College of Dance.
There are many routes into a career in dance, and opportunities to demonstrate entrepreneurship and forge unique career pathways. Dance has provided a foundation for people to move into other art forms, particularly in circus, physical theatre, opera and digital technology. Careers include: performing, teaching, supporting professions, choreography.
To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Careers Personal Adviser in school or speak to your teachers. Attend a college Open Evening and chat to our teaching staff, college careers staff and Liaison Team
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City of Stoke-on-Trent Sixth Form College directly.